Archive | February 7, 2013

Wales earned a 2-1 win over Austria in their friendly at the Liberty Stadium

Gareth Bale inspired Wales to a 2-1 win over Austria in their friendly at the Liberty Stadium.

Bale set Wales on their way with the opener in the first half before creating the second for half-time substitute Sam Vokes early in the second half.

Marc Janko set up a tense finale by pulling a goal back for Austria 15 minutes from time, but Wales held on for a morale-boosting win ahead of next month’s World Cup qualifying double-header against Scotland and Croatia.

Austria almost got off to a flying start after just three minutes when Adam Matthews had to be alert to clear Marko Arnautovic’s effort from a corner off the line.

Craig Bellamy, who has missed Wales’ opening four World Cup qualifiers, had a chance to open the scoring on 16 minutes when he latched onto David Vaughan’s pass, but the Cardiff forward failed to hit the target.

Wales made the breakthrough on 21 minutes when man of the moment Bale netted his 10th international goal for his country.

 

Wales win brings confidence

Liverpool midfielder Joe Allen picked out Bale with a fine through ball and the Spurs ace took the pass under control before firing home past Robert Almer in the Austria goal.

Wales had a lucky escape just past the half hour mark when West Ham new boy Emanuel Pogatetz bundled the ball home from Janko’s header, but the goal was controversially ruled out for offside as replays showed it was the wrong decision.

The dangerous Arnautovic then forced Boaz Myhill into a fine save with a fierce swerving shot from distance on 36 minutes.

Austria were unlucky not to draw level on the stroke of half-time when David Alaba saw his stunning volley come back off the post with Myhill beaten.

Wales doubled their lead on 52 minutes when Bale turned creator to cross for substitute Vokes to powerfully head home.

Austria pulled a goal back 15 minutes from time when Alaba and Arnautovic combined and the latter crossed for Janko to head home at the far post.

Advertisements

Ron Jeremy recovering: “I’m doing very well.”

It looks like the Hedgehog is out of the woods.

Adult film icon and character actor Ron Jeremy put a serious scare into his fans on January 29. Jeremy, suffering severe chest pains, drove himself to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he was diagnosed with an aneurysm near his heart. While Jeremy has been through two rounds of surgery since then, he’s reached out to fans to let them know he’s on the mend.

In a statement to the press, Jeremy said, “Thank you ALL for the concern & well wishes, I’m doing very well thanks to modern technology!” The message was accompanied by a photo, with Jeremy and a nurse both giving the camera an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

Jeremy’s manager, Mike Esterman, posted a message on Jeremy’s Twitter account Tuesday, saying, “Ron remains in intensive care at LA Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, but is awake and on the road to recovery, in spite of this ordeal.” Esterman also told reporters that his client is “doing quite well and cracking jokes,” adding “he’s touched and delighted by the outpouring of support from fans and media alike.”

Nicknamed “the Hedgehog” for his stocky build and large amounts of body hair, Jeremy is an unlikely legend in the world of adult cinema, having appeared in over two thousand XXX titles, more than any other actor in porn history. Jeremy has also enjoyed a successful career in mainstream cinema, playing supporting roles in “The Boondock Saints,” “54,” “Crank: High Voltage,” and “Detroit Rock City,” and appeared on season two of the reality TV series “The Surreal Life.”

While manager Esterman has made clear that Jeremy’s isn’t expected to be released “for some time,”Jeremy statement suggests the everyman porn star is in much better shape than he was a week ago.